Unfortunately, waking up gracefully to the singing of animals and the warm summer sun isn’t a reality we all encounter. We’re lucky if we get a solid SEVEN hours of snoozin built into our day. For most of us, Slapping the alarm to give us FIVE necessary minutes is the FIRST thing we think about even before falling asleep.
So…how do I become a perky early riser??
According to Pop Sugar, these handful of things can take up to 5-minutes and will get your energy moving to get out the door in a good mood!
- Turn off your alarm (30 seconds): Place your alarm out of reach, away from your bed, so you have to get up to turn it off. Smile as you walk, which releases hormones that create happy feelings. Tell yourself it’s going to be a good day — out loud!
- Let in morning light (10 seconds): Wake up with some sunshine, which instantly elevates your mood and sends the signal to your brain that it’s morning.
- Do a sun salutation (one minute): Spend one minute moving your body. You can do jumping jacks, sit-ups, or a body-energizing sun salutation.
- Meditate on your day (one minute): Take one minute to visualize your day and imagine how meetings will go, the things you need to remember, and happy outcomes of important conversations and interactions with others.
- Be grateful (30 seconds): Say out loud what you’re grateful for. Starting the morning on an appreciative note sets you up for a day of caring, understanding, and thoughtfulness.
- Make your bed (one minute): Tidying your bedroom psychologically gets you motivated to leave your room. And it’s so nice to come home to a bed that’s already been made. Use any extra time to pick up clothes or clear side tables.
- Sing along! (remaining 50 seconds): Turn on a wake-up song and sing along as you dance out of your room. Singing releases endorphins, which naturally elevate your mood and energize your body.
Try it for a week and tell us if you noticed a difference!